Historic Sites Consortium of
Queen Anne's County

[ Home | Guide Map | Historic Sites | Tour Brochure | Calendar of Events | Links | Contact Us ]

Cray House

Cray House

  One of the most unique structures on the Eastern Shore, this National Register site is located on a tract of land once called Stevenís Adventure, granted to Francis Stevens in 1694. Built c. 1809, the Cray House is a rare example of post-and-plank construction, where hand-sawn logs are mortised and tenoned into vertical corner posts, forming the sides of the building.
  It is one of a handful of post-and-plank buildings to survive in Maryland and is also important as a rare survival of the small, two-room plan houses that were a dominant part of the pre-industrial landscape. In this case, the hall-parlor plan had only one heated room on each floor, yet despite the modest size, the house was finished with a full complement of interior trim, including beaded board partition, beaded baseboards, a two-piece hair rail, refined trim and first floor mantel.

The house was sold at public auction in 1914 and was lived in by Nora Cray, a widow, along with her nine children. In 1975 her heirs donated the house and lot to the Kent Island Heritage Society, who have restored and furnished it. The meat house in the rear, although moved to this site, is a rare example of what was once a common feature of houses in the region.

Physical Address: Cockey's Lane
Stevensville, Maryland
Management Entity: Kent Island Heritage Society, Inc.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 321
Stevensville, Maryland 21666
Admission Fee: Voluntary donations only
Hours of Operation: By appointment and for special events.

First Saturday of the Month, May - October, 12:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. 

Special Events: Kent Island Day
Directions:

Get directions at

MapQuest our location

Historic Sites Consortium of Queen Anne's County
P.O. Box 655
Centerville, Maryland 21617
Phone: 410.758.2502

[ Home | Guide Map | Historic Sites | Tour Brochure | Calendar of Events | Links | Contact Us ]