The congregation was
first established at Claiborne’s settlement at Kent Point in the
1630’s and the present building, constructed in 1880, is the
fourth known church to be constructed by the parish. In 1995 the
congregation relocated to a new, larger, facility on Rt. 8. Christ
Church continues to be used as a house of worship.
The 1880 church is distinguished by a steep slate roof, and an unusual
chimney designed in the medieval “lancet” style, and is garnished
with simple yet pleasing stained glass windows arranged in three
pairs along each side wall with larger arched windows in the south
gable behind the alter. The bell tower adjoins the east facade.
The church’s dramatic interior is dominated by the steeply pitched
ceiling that rises heavenward above the congregation and is
supported by open, stick-style trusses that divide the building into
site of the 1652 Broad Creek Church and Cemetery, where three of
the Christ Church congregation's previous structures once stood, is located
off Route 8 in Stevensville. The cemetery is currently being restored
and is undergoing archaeological investigation by Christ Church
Parish. The cornerstones of the 1652 church have been unearthed, as
well as 12 burial headstones, dating from 1746 to 1903.