Kennard High School was the first and only secondary school in Queen Anne’s County for African Americans. It served students in 7th through 12th grades and opened in the fall of 1936. The building consisted of four rooms, and cost $2,600 to build. That cost did not include lights however, and the local African-American community donated money to purchase lights. The names of the people who contributed a light were placed on the cornerstone of the building. The school operated until 1966, when schools in the Queen Anne’s County were integrated.
The Kennard Alumni Association is restoring the building, and plans to create a cultural arts center for the community. The building is in disrepair, and in need of a new roof. The Alumni Association has just been awarded a grant from the Maryland Historical Trust to replace the roof, but that is only the start of the project. If you would like to help or donate to the project, please contact Madelyn Hollis or Vivian Goldsborough for more information.