Historic Sites Consortium of
Queen Anne's County

[ Home | Guide Map | Historic Sites | Tour Brochure | Calendar of Events | Links | Contact Us ]

Other Historic Sites & Landmarks

Kirwan House – Chester, Kent Island - circa 1890. This Victorian-style home features a county store attached to the house and is operated as a museum with artifacts from the 1890-1920 era. The house was built by James E. Kirwan, who served in the Maryland State Senate from 1900 until 1908 and was once known as "The Grand Old Man of Kent Island."

Sudlersville Memorial Library – 1946 - After the Civil War the majority of the Trustees left Dudley's Chapel and came into Sudlersville to begin a new church, thus Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1868. A new larger church built on this same site was later renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church South (1878). After the Peninsula Conference closed all Methodist South churches in 1942., the town received approval to open The Sudlersville Memorial Library in 1946.

Kent Fort Manor Marker – Kent Island - the first English settlement in Maryland was predated only by colonies at Jamestown and Plymouth Rock. In August 1631, William Claiborne landed here and established an outpost for trading. His founding is acknowledged now only by an historic marker, approximately 8.5 miles south along Route 8.

Kent Narrows – For generations, a bustling center of commercial seafood processing, with as many as twelve packing houses operating at once, and hundreds of watermen bringing the catch to the docks.  Look for a new series of wayside exhibits coming Fall 2004.

Kent Manor Inn – Stevensville. This large country inn sits in the middle of a 226 acre tract once called Smithfield. The original wing of the inn (on the left) was constructed by Sarah Smyth and her husband, Dr. Samuel Thompson, a prominent local physician. A marriage contract, executed between Sarah and Samuel Thompson, allowed Sarah to retain control of her assets after their 1811 marriage. In 1843 Sarah gave the house and 309 acres to her son, who, just prior to the Civil War, added the large 13-room center section of the inn.

Stevensville Bank Building – The first banking enterprise on the island came in 1903, with the formation of The Stevensville Bank of Queen Anne’s County. The bank building was constructed sometime between 1903 and 1907. It is the oldest bank building on Kent Island and one of the earliest surviving in the county. The classical architectural details on the façade of this restored stucco building, combined with its pressed tin ceiling and intact furnishings and vault, helped place it on the National Register of Historic Places.

Bryan United Methodist Church – Grasonville, MD. Originally known as Bryan’s Chapel and dating from c. 1800, the oldest extent church in the area whose congregation still worships at its original site. The original congregation was primarily made up of black watermen and indentured servants.

My Lord’s Gift – Although few outward signs of historical significance remain, travelers on Routes 18, 301 and 50 cross a 17th century tract of land named My Lord’s Gift. A marker tells of this 1000 acre tract that was given to Henry DeCoursey by Charles Calvert, third Lord Baltimore, in 1658. As reward for DeCoursey’s loyalty in England, Calvert gave him as much land shown on a map as he could cover with his thumb.

St. Peter’s Catholic Church – Queenstown, MD. Romanesque and Victorian architecture adorn the brick exterior. The interior is refinished in colonial tradition with stained glass windows and mid-19th century brass. Mass, Saturday 5:30 pm, Sunday, 11:15 am.

Bowlingly – Queenstown, MD. This impressive National Register Georgian house was constructed in 1733. When British troops descended upon the town during the War of 1812, the house was badly damaged. In 1897, the Queen Anne’s County Railroad Company acquired the property and transformed the house and grounds into a hotel and amusement park.

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church – Queenstown, MD. This “very neat and commodious frame edifice” was constructed in 1840-1841 and consecrated by Bishop William R. Whittingham in April 1842. The church was erected on land donated by the owners of nearby Bowlingly plantation. The building is a marvelous example of the small country churches built in villages of the mid-19th century.

Bloomingdale – The land on which the National Register site Bloomingdale stands was originally patented in 1665 as Mount Mill. The Federal-style brick mansion, erected in 1792, is one of the finest in the county.

Wye Island – Two of Maryland’s leading Revolutionaries acquired the island in the 1700s. William Paca, signer of the Declaration of Independence, held the eastern half and built Wye Hall, a large plantation house which burned in 1879. Paca is said to be buried on the mainland nearby. John Beale Bordley, a jurist, owned the western half and developed an enormous plantation. Attacked by Tories during the Revolution, the island was defended by a gunboat or barge, the Experiment. The island is now home to the Wye Island Natural Resources Management Area.

Wye Oak – When Europeans first explored the upper regions of the Chesapeake Bay, this majestic oak already was fully mature. The Wye Oak was believed to date to the sixteenth century, making it over 400 years old. In 1909, the tree was recorded as the largest white oak specimen in the eastern United States. When it was felled by a storm in the summer of 2002, the tree had grown to 32 feet in circumference with a crown spread of an impressive 119 feet. The Wye Oak stood in a 29 acre park owned by the State of Maryland.

Wye School – The small brick building situated next to where the Wye Oak stood dates to circa 1800. This one-room structure, with Flemish bond brickwork and a gable fireplace, is believed to be an early school building. However, it is possible that the small yet refined building was used as a dwelling or a plantation office.

Old Wye Church – originally built in 1717, substantially restored in the 1940s.

Salem Elementary School – Centreville, MD. Early school for blacks, c. 1900.

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church – Centreville. Beginning in 1672, three successive church buildings served Saint Paul’s Parish at a location west of today’s town. Construction of the current Saint Paul’s began in 1834. The church was enlarged in 1855 and again in 1892-95. The parish hall was added in 1908-9. Note the church’s remarkable stained glass and windows, and the herb garden on the grounds, planted and maintained by the Queen Anne’s County Garden Club.

The Captains’ Houses – Centreville, MD. This closely set row of four small houses built along Corsica Creek was constructed by Captain John H. Ozmon. These dwellings were used by the captains and crew members of Ozmon’s schooners that sailed the Chesapeake. Architecturally, they are probably unique.

Middleton House – Centreville, MD. Built in 1890, and moved to its present location in the 1930’s, the 19th century hunting lodge home of Samuel and Mary Middleton, founders of the original Gunston School in 1911, continues today to represent both the physical and symbolic soul of Gunston Day School.

Charles Wesley Methodist Church – Centreville, MD. The place of worship for one of the oldest African-American congregations in the county, this late Victorian Gothic-style frame structure has the date 1909 on the cornerstone, and a stone from the original church shows 1873. The church was the social center of the black community with socials, ribbon sales, promenades, strawberry festivals and box and shoe socials.

Crumpton – the town grew up in the 19th century around McCallister’s Ferry, a rope raft that operated between the north and south banks of the Chester River.

Jimmy Foxx Memorial Statue – In 1997, the Sudlersville Community Betterment Club erected this life size bronze statue of Baseball Hall of Fame member Jimmy Foxx. Foxx was born in Sudlersville in 1907 and got his start playing ball in Easton. The statue, which joined a stone memorial dedicated in 1987, serves not only as a remembrance to one of baseball’s all-time great players, but also is a symbol of the love for the game on the Eastern Shore.

Historic Sites Consortium of Queen Anne's County
P.O. Box 655
Centerville, Maryland 21617
Phone: 410.758.2502

[ Home | Guide Map | Historic Sites | Tour Brochure | Calendar of Events | Links | Contact Us ]